Sunday, April 7, 2013

Runner-necking and Mexican Quinoa and Lentils Recipe

Today was my long run day.  I only had to do a 10k since it was a step down week.  I was pretty pumped about going, except I procrastinated getting ready all morning.  Thankfully Becky did the same and we finally met at almost noon.

By then I had started to develop a bit of a foul mood.  There's no real reason why.  I just felt like it, I guess.  I hoped that running would cheer me up.


I had dressed way too warm.  I realized it as soon as I walked out the door.  There was no time to change, so for the first time, I hoped there was a cool head wind.

The first couple of miles my calves were sore, and we were getting all of the green lights.  I enjoy the red lights so I can stop a minute and stretch.
We changed our route a bit when we noticed a ton of police cars down the road a bit.  We usually go straight and follow the bike path, but we decided to check out the scene.  It was a car accident and they had almost the whole road shut down.


Becky asked, "What's that word for people who slow down while driving by accidents?  Rubber-necking?"  I said, "Yes, but we are runner-necking!"  We decided that it is definitely going to have to be established as a new word.

At 3 miles, we turned to head back and put in our earphones.  I was feeling looser and more in the groove.  We really sped up the last couple of miles.  I think we both really wanted to be done.

I felt really good at the end.  The day was beautiful!


I had big plans to cook a bunch of veggies I have afterwards.  That didn't happen.  I did make some lentils and quinoa.  It's almost just like the Mexican Lentils and Rice recipe I love.  At the last minute, I decided to try it with quinoa to add a bit more protein.

Mexican Quinoa and Lentils

1 1/2 c. lentils
3/4c. quinoa
2 vegetable bouillon or 2 cups vegetable broth
3c. water (unless you use veggie broth, than just add 1 more cup)
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp cumin
1 tsp garlic powder

Throw everything in a rice cooker and cook until finished.  I ate mine on a corn tortilla with some hot sauce.


Happy Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment