Monday, April 8, 2013

Easy Barley and Mushroom Soup

I sort of forgot that I bought a ton of veggies before Easter.  I kept meaning to cut them up and either cook them into something or use them.  Over a week later, there they sat in my fridge giving me the stink eye.



I made a stir fry with a lemon lime soy sauce.  It was kind of bland and that's when I realized I forgot to put a sweetener in it (old age rearing it's ugly head).



I also came up with a super easy, super delicious soup recipe.  I have barley.  I have never used it.  I really wanted to.  So, my Barley and Mushroom Soup was born.

Easy Barley and Mushroom Soup
2 Tbsp. EVOO
1/2 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, diced
1c. barley (I used quick cooking.  I really don't know if it matters)
3c. water
5c. vegetable broth
2 green peppers, chopped
3 carrots, chopped
8 oz. mushrooms, chopped

Heat a soup pot over medium heat.  Add the oil and let heat up, maybe 2-3 minutes.  Add the onion and garlic.  Let these cook out for about 2-3 minutes.  You don't want them brown.  Add the barley and 3c. water.  Raise heat to high.  While that is heating up, prepare the vegetables.  Add the peppers, carrots, and vegetable broth.  Cook on high so it is boiling for 20 minutes.  Add the mushrooms.  Lower soup to a simmer, cover, and cook for another 10 minutes or until your barley is finished.

 

I REALLY like this soup.  I immediately gobbled a bowl down.

I wanted to make a split pea soup, but I didn't realized I had to soak the peas like any other dry bean.  I guess I've never cooked with them before.  I will do that tonight and hopefully tomorrow I will have a delicious split pea recipe to brag about!

How's your Monday going?

No comments:

Post a Comment